- "This Gracie Jiu-Jitsu gym is awesome! I joined the Combatives and Women Empowered Programs. It's super fun and the instructors Nick and Alexis are the nicest people! They truly care about your success in executing correctly, safely, and that you feel comfortable. Plus the self-defense aspect of it all is super beneficial to have. Highly recommend this Jiu-Jitsu gym! Everyone there is super friendly" -Marylou R.
- "I began training at Baltimore Gracie Jiu-Jitsu for several non-traditional reasons. While I always understood the efficacy of the techniques as demonstrated in MMA events, etc., I wanted to push myself out of my comfort zone and learn techniques that I might be able to use to safely restrain combative patients or combatants in my line of work as a physician and military officer. Indeed, BGJJ exceeded all my expectations. Nick Tissue is an incredibly patient and supremely talented instructor and practitioner of the art. The support from the Gracie Academy is also truly superior in every way, and the training center is directly connected to the main Gracie Academy based in California (both Rener and Ryron regularly offer seminars--you will not find better teachers anywhere). I have had to put my training on hold many times, but with the excellent structured curriculum and stellar online support, one can jump back into training, even after missing months due to newborn children, work, or military deployments, etc. Overall, I am convinced there is no better way to learn Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, and there is no more effective means of self defense outside of Gracie Jiu-Jitsu! My experience at BGJJ has been world-class." -Dr. (Col.) Sam Galvagno
- "We joined Baltimore Gracie as a family and we are immediately hooked. Nick and Alexis are super knowledgeable and helpful. Everyone is respectful and welcoming so no one feels like a newbie or uncomfortable. It is great to build confidence and also a great workout. The gym is also super clean." -Sharyn A.
- "I've trained with Nick Tissue for over 3 years now and I can personally vouch for his efficacy as a GJJ instructor. I've learned so much in that span of time and much of that is due to Nick's ability to teach. GJJ can be somewhat overwhelming for new students due to the sheer amount of positions and techniques but Nick has the knack for being able to break those techniques down to their essential details. It's those details that allow you to not only really learn and retain the knowledge but make them immediately useful on the mat. Even if you are a more advanced student Nick still has the keys to making those techniques sharper and more effective.
Besides his skill as an instructor the one thing struck me about Nick is his generosity with his time. I've personally spent many hours after class sparring with him and getting one on one instruction. Whenever I have had an issue with a particular position or technique, he's always been willing to take a few minutes to help me work on it.
If you are thinking about learning GJJ or if you are already on the path and continuing your journey, I highly recommend learning from Nick at Baltimore City GJJ. I guarantee you will not be disappointed." -Rich D.
- "I joined Baltimore Gracie Jiu-Jitsu in March 2021. I was a little nervous because I'd had a negative experience at a BJJ gym in another state that wasn't welcoming to women, but I love jiu jitsu and wanted to start training again. Baltimore Gracie has been such a wonderful experience for me on multiple levels. Nick and Alexis are a great team, and make it clear that their priorities are safety, respect, technique, and maintaining a family-friendly gym environment. Nick is a patient, consistent, professional teacher. He listens to what people want from their BJJ training and tailors his feedback and focus accordingly whenever possible. The facility is large, clean, comfortable, and well-lit. Communication is excellent, as the website is regularly updated and emails clarify any upcoming schedule changes. I feel lucky to have found this gym, both for myself and for my teenage nephew who has also joined and can't stop talking about it. Don't hesitate to give it a try if you're at all interested!" -Jessica K.
- "Nick's passion for BJJ is infectious and inspiring. His instruction is top quality, but beyond that you can tell how much it means to him to have you learn and succeed" - Jon F.
- "As a student that is brand new to Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, I find that Nick's breakdown of the motivation behind every single component of a given move to be invaluable as I wrap my head around the art. There is a reason for every step. His passion and attention to detail shine through in his instruction." - Justin R.
- "If you desire a caring knowledgable instructor for your kids or a focused Brazilian jiu-Jitsu program for yourself this is the place for you. I've learned much from Nick in class, on the mat, during competition and daily contact. A complete professional dedicated to learning and teaching". -- Rick Hueston, age 52, Brazilian jiu-jitsu purple belt
- "Nick Tissue has helped me build the skills and confidence to feel comfortable training in a full contact martial art and sport like Brazilian Jiu Jitsu. BJJ allows me to stay active, relieve stress, and train self defense. I will admit I was apprehensive when I first stepped onto the mat about two years ago. BJJ can seem intimidating to new participants. However, Nick's instruction is very clear, and his attitude is positive and helpful. He builds a friendly atmosphere within his training facility where everyone can improve their technique, no matter your skill, or fitness level." - Brian S.
- "I had the pleasure of attending a free class offered by Nick and Alexis for Women Empowerment and self-defense techniques. They are both extremely friendly and provide such a welcoming environment. I can't wait to try more classes!" -Francesca C.